Soon after a tampon is inserted, bacteria will begin to grow on the tampon. Bacteria, like all living things, eat and digest something and then excrete waste products. The waste products excreted by the bacteria are absorbed by the vagina. There have been cases of women becoming seriously ill and even dying from absorption of the waste products on a tampon. This “disease” is called toxic shock syndrome. The symptoms of toxic shock syndrome are: fever, vomiting, sunburn-like rash, diarrhea, muscle aches, dizziness, and confusion.
If you begin to feel uncomfortable in any way while wearing a tampon, remove it immediately. Better yet, don’t use tampons at all. If you decide to use tampons and want to reduce the risk, you can buy the unbleached organic cotton variety. Bleached cotton or synthetic tampons have been shown to contain dioxins, contaminates associated with serious health problems. Always remove a tampon in two hours or less, and NEVER sleep with them.
Another concern with tampons is their effect on the body’s natural flow of energy. According to many schools of natural healing, the body’s energy naturally flows down during menstruation. Many women experience that a tampon blocks the downward flow of energy and causes abdominal discomfort and cramping, which they do not experience when they use pads. Some women have even begun to call tampons “crampons!”